Monday, July 21, 2008
From the Hydro One Website:
Five Smart Things Your New Smart Meter Will Do in the Future:
1. Measure how much energy you use and when you use it — providing you with the opportunity to take action to better manage your hydro bill by:
* Lowering your electricity use during peak (higher cost) periods; and
* Shifting your electricity use to off-peak (lower cost) periods.
2. Smart metering systems will store your electricity use information — allowing you to review your electricity use information the next day through the internet or telephone.
3. No more estimated bills — your smart meter will automatically and regularly send your readings via wireless technology.
4. Help us to better manage power outages
5. Reduced need to build power generation facilities — as all Ontarians shift energy use away from peak periods.
We now have a smart meter.... time will tell as to what this will really mean for us.